top of page

First Team Earns 11th Point vs. Evergreen

BROOKLYN, NY – The club’s first team (2-6-5, 11 points) drew the Evergreen Hammers (0-8-6, 6 points) 2-2, on Sunday afternoon at New Utrecht High School. The first team obtained the most points since their inception into the then-PDL and current USL League Two. Midfielder Conor McGlynn now leads the team with five goals on the season, with a pair of assists. The Evergreen Hammers were seconds away from obtaining their first victory of the season, but left New York with their sixth draw of the season. They conclude their season with six points.

The home of the practice facility, New Utrecht High School, became the sight for the first team for one final home match during the 2019 USL League Two season. Returning from suspension included forwards Filippo Tamburini and Conor McGlynn. The previous Sunday, the club announced the joint operation academy “FA Euro Bridgeview”. Assistant Director of Bridgeview Soccer Academy, Elshan Gambarov, made his USL League Two debut, at age 46, to close out his illustrious career.

Needing a victory or a draw to earn the most points in first team history, forward DeAndre Gordon and his teammates had plans to put the rest of the Mid-Atlantic Division on notice to finish the season strong. Having been eliminated from playoff contention, but remaining in the hunt through more than 10 games this season, the club knew its focus. Early retaliation from midfielder Alan Ponieman earned the former 2000’s player a yellow card, just three minutes into the match. Veteran forward Robi Sillah remainded positive despite being taken out at the conclusion of the first 45’ following five offsides calls from the linesman. A pair of shots from forward Kwadwo Kwashie saw a momentum swing in the first half.

The Leesburg, Virginia based club, came into the contest having drawn in their three previous contests consecutively. A pair of shots in the 26’ minute of play, looked to be saved by goalkeeper Babacarr Ceesay. One of the shots that is. The second shot looked to be over the line, but the linesman had a view that showed otherwise. The first team earned a huge break on the scoresheet. Defender Tomasso Davico was injured in the 34’ minute of play, and was replaced by Vincent Balsamo on the pitch.

Fast forwarding to the 66’ minute of play, a pass from midfielder Conor McGlynn to forward DeAndre Gordon fooled the defenders of the Hammers, where the striker beat Dane Jacobman on a left wing shot past the diving keeper. A pair of goals from Evergreen followed the icebreaker, just five minutes after the first goal was scored. Midfielder Johnny de Souza Claros put his Hammers within one, before DeJean Charlton scored the second and unanswered goal to put Evergreen ahead in the 87’ minute.

The visiting team was looking for their first victory of the 2019 USL League Two campaign, and was three minutes and stoppage time remaining from accomplishing the feat. An Evergreen defender took down midfielder Nermin Buljubasic, and was issued a yellow-card caution in stoppage time. The free-kick was taken by leading goal scorer Conor McGlynn, who netted the tying goal moments before the match concluded. The first team earned their 11th point, and sixth draw of the season. Both totals are the most since the club’s inception into the then-PDL and current USL League Two.


The club’s first team closes out their 2019 USL League Two schedule when they visit the New York Red Bull U23 squad next Saturday, July 13 for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff from the Red Bull Training Facility in Whippany, NJ.

42 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page